"An unconventional woman and a man shrouded in mystery walk a tightrope of desire as they race against a killer to find a machine that could change the world... Former trapeze artist Amalie Vaughn moved to Burning Cove to reinvent herself, but after spending her inheritance on a mansion with the intention of turning it into a bed-and-breakfast, she learns that the villa is said to be cursed. When the first guest, Dr. Norman Pickwell, is murdered by his robot invention during a sold-out demonstration, rumors circulate that the curse is real. In the chaotic aftermath, Amalie watches Matthias Jones disappear behind the curtain, and reappear slipping a gun into a concealed holster. Matthias suspects Pickwell stole a groundbreaking prototype cipher machine and planned to sell it. But now Pickwell is dead, the machine has vanished, and time is running out."--Provided by publisher.
20 available of 36 items
- California -- Fiction.
- Cipher and telegraph codes -- Fiction.
- Haunted houses -- Fiction.
- Lost articles -- Fiction.
- Man-woman relationships -- Fiction.
- Murder -- Investigation -- California -- Fiction.
- Nineteen thirties -- Fiction.
- Robots -- Fiction.
Edition: First edition.
Description: 309 pages ; 24 cm
Other Title: Tight rope
- Sequel to: The other lady vanishes.
- Series information from Goodreads.com.
LCCN: 2018056039Link to PAC